Sunday, January 12, 2014

Fitness Favorites

As many start 2014 with new fitness and running goals, I decided to share some of my fitness favorites from the past few years.

Socks 


Smart Wool Running Socks
The past year I got in the habit of not wearing socks with my Nike Frees so when I do wear socks, I like them thin. Smart Wool running socks are not only thin, but they keep my feet dry and blister free. They are a must have for any runner.

CEP Compression Socks

For longer runs and races, I like the CEP Compression socks. They also keep my feet blister free and help keep the blood circulating. I leave them on after my long runs to help with recovery. I bought a white Nike pair of compression socks, but they are not nearly as tight or effective. 

Groovy Run Short

Shorts

Nike Pro Shorts
The Nike Pro Shorts are by far my favorite running and work out shorts. I own three different pair. If someone would have told me three years ago that I would be wearing compression/bike shorts out in public, I would have laughed. I love these because they are comfortable, light, and I have never had any chaffing while wearing them. However, I just purchased two pair of  the Lululemon Groovy Run Shorts, and after only a few wears, they are definitely a contender for my new favorite run short.

Pants 


Nike Drifit Running Tights
Lululemon Run Inspire Crop



When the weather gets colder, my go to running bottoms are the Nike Dri-fit Running Tight. They are light weight, comfortable, and keep me warm and dry. I also like the Lululemon Run Inspire Crop for both running and working out. Both tights are light, super comfortable, and keep me dry. More importantly, they stay in place when I run. I have several other pair of running crops and tights from Underarmour and Lululemon, but so far, these are the only ones that don't slip down when I run. I also just purchased a new pair of Nike Running Crops, and after one run, I am thoroughly impressed. They are a little thicker than my other tights, but they stay put when I run, feel good, and look good. I also just purchased a pair of Lululemon cold weather pants. I have not had a chance to wear them running, but I have worn them out and about and for coaching. I love that they are fleece lined and water resistant in t front. They are also a nice length which can sometimes be a challenge for me. 




Tops

I don't know if I really have a favorite running top at this point. I prefer either long sleeve dri-fit tops or tanks with a built in bra. I am still looking for a good sports bra and go to tank. I have been considering getting the Lululemon Cool Racerback as it has great reviews. Recently, I came across Ellie and Fabletics athletic wear online, and I am interested in some reviews of their running gear before I take the plunge.

Shoes 

Nike Frees 3.0-5.0
I have tried various pairs of running shoes over the past few years and have yet to deem one my favorite. When I first started running, I wore the Nike Lunar Eclipse. I then switched to a pair of Asics Kayano. Both proved to work quite well so I purchased another pair of the Nike Lunar Eclipses;  however, the upgrade did not work as well, and I ended up searching for a new pair after a few short months. Since that time, I have suffered several injuries, so after a great deal of research, I decided to try a more minimal pair of running shoes. To date, I have thoroughly enjoyed the Nike Frees for short to medium runs. I also like the Brooks Pure Cadence but definitely need to go up a size in those and take some time to transition into them as they force me to run more with a midfoot strike which I was not used to.I transitioned into those at the end of my marathon training and suffered the consequences with some serious shin issues. This past running season I tried the Asics Lite and Mizuno Wave while training for the TC marathon, but both felt too  big in the toe box, and I was sidelined once again with a femoral stress fracture. Currently, I am wearing the Saucony Kinvara as I get back into running after my injury. 
Brooks, Mizunos, Asics
Saucony Kinvara












What are your fitness favorites and go to gear?

No comments:

Post a Comment