Friday, January 3, 2014

Starting the New Year

The new year started as a wild ride. We spent the evening at Radisson Blu and the Mall of America. It was a great time with the family. You can't  beat the convenience of walking right to your hotel room after an evening of Nickelodeon Universe and a day of shopping.

The kids loved the hanging baskets in the hotel lobby. It really is a cool place; if you get a chance, check it out!

Year in Review

2013 did not pan out as I had planned running wise. A femoral stress fracture in early August put an end to my marathon training and running. Four long months off proved to take its toll on my endurance and waist line. The positive was a new found love for Les Mills Body Pump. 

Races - Get Lucky 7k was a cold, icy and slow going race, but the atmosphere was well worth it (11,000 people dressed as leprechauns running on icy roads through Minneapolis and St. Paul). The 21K is on my list for 2014. Brainerd Run for the Lakes was my first, and only, half of the year. It was much hillier than I expected, but the weather was great, and it was a beautiful course even though it was still snow covered the last week of April.

Eating habits also went by the wayside the past few months. The goal was to eat healthy as a family. Too many dinners out and Christmas treats the past few months sabotaged that goal.

Blogging more - my last blog date speaks for itself

Bettering myself as an educator - I started the year as I always do, eager and excited. I have tried some new assignments and attended two great seminars this past year. I went to the IRA conference in San Antonio last April (easy to convince me to attend when we were having snowstorms here in MN) and the TIES conference this December. Wow! I discovered there is so much room for growth professionally. 

Looking Forward 

What does 2014 have in store for me and my family??
1. Run at least four half marathons and hopefully one full - looking at the Rock and Roll Tour Pass currently. I would love to run San Diego, Chicago, and Vegas. Other suggestions are welcome.
2. Run at least two races with my son. We need to  beat our 5K time from last year.
3. Cut out the junk. I found if I plan my meals out for the week this is much easier to do. 
4. Write more
5. Go on at least one date a month with my husband. I would love to do more, but we need to start somewhere.
6. Tone up and slim down. I signed up for a power yoga class as well as the next session of body pump. I am  hoping to stay injury free by taking a more balanced approach. I am also toying with the idea of doing the Iron Man challenge at the Y. This would force me to become a better swimmer.
7. Read More - good book suggestions are always welcome
8. Do something I am scared to do. Thanks Eleanor for the inspiration! Swimming would fit this. 
9. Give more
10. Be positive!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment