Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Control the Controlables

 Many years ago during my first year of coaching volleyball, I gave a speech at the homecoming pepfest about controlling the controlables. The point was that during the game of volleyball a player cannot control the other team, her teammates, the refs, the fans, etc. However, she can control how much she is going to give, how hard she is going to play, her attitude, and her encouragement of her teammates. That same principle could be applied to life in genearl: control what you can in life and let the rest roll off your  back. I need to start following the advice I gave to my players 15 years ago. I spend way too much time rudimenting over things that I have no control over. Instead, I need to realize that if I control the things I can and let the rest roll off my back, I will be much happier and accomplish a lot more. So what exactly can I control? I can control how much I exercise, how often I exercise, how hard I push myself, the way I talk to myself, my attitude toward things that don't go my way, what I eat, the groceries I buy, how I spend my free time, what my work area looks like, how I treat my family and friends, the tone of my voice, the quality of my work, and what I say. What can't I control - what others think of me, how quickly the weight comes off, how fast other people run, other people's reactions to my accomplishments or ideas, how my children perform in school, and how many interruptions are going to occur during my day. When looking at my lists, it appears as if I can control a lot more than I think. I control all of the things that are going to lead me to a happier and healthier lifestyle so what am I waiting for???

Today I did speedwork. Admittedly, I am still a little sore from my run on Sunday. I should have foam rolled and did not (on my list of things to improve). I waited too long again today (7:00 p.m.) and was tired when it was time to go run. I got dressed and started anyway. I often find that if I put in at least 10 minutes I will start to feel better. I ended up doing a 15 minute warm up before I switched to speed work. My speed work consisted of 400 intervals. I started at 8.5 and then increased .1 each lap until I was at 9.0. After the intervals, I did a mile cool down.

There isn't much in the house for food so my meal plans are pretty weak and pieced together. For breakfast I had three scrambled eggs with a little bit of swiss cheese. I only ate about half. I had a Dove dark chocolate with almonds for a snack. For lunch I had a kiwi, cheese and crackers (not my best showing), and snap peas. Dinner consisted of a few fried green beans (broken rule #2), some tortillia chips with spinach dip, a half of a steak, one grilled shrimp, and steamed veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, and a few potatoes). I also snacked on another Dove dark chocolate.

Tomorrow is grocery shopping day! I am looking for some new, wheat free recipes besides soup and chili. My focus is to avoid wheat, fried foods, and junk food. If it comes in a package, it shouldn't be eaten. One step at a time...

No comments:

Post a Comment